Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 March 2012

Unit 01 – Awareness of Employment within the Creative Media Sector.

In full time employment an employee under this contract will have to work the full amount of hours alicated to them by their employer, full time employee's will normally around about work 36-40 hours per week.

In part time employment an employee under this contract work fewer hours than the full time employee's normally less than 30 hours at week, however part time employee's still share the same rights than any other employee whether it be full time or part time.

Working as a freelancer(self employed) is somebody who is not committed to a employer long term and offer there services to more than one client and can chose who they offer there services to, freelancers can charge which ever way they like they could charge by the hour or day.

Fixed contract- for example a fixed term contract is a type of employment in which has to end at a certain date for an example seaonal and casual staff that are taken on for peak periods like christmas or summer.

I am currently working as an full time apprentice as I work more than 30 hours a week and I am alicated work to do which has to be done to a high standard within dealines that we have to meet. With this i could freelance also when not at work making more money and this helps build up my skills to become a good graphic designer.

The advantage of being part time compared to full time is that you still get the same benefits as people who work full time but work less hours such as Statutory Sick Pay, and receive the same rights of pay as full-time employees.

National insurance and tax are taken directly out of your pay check automatically through a system called Pay as you earn (PAYE) each month and you are noted by your pay slip each month. You pay national insurance to build up your state pension and other security benefits, how much you pay depends on the amount you earn. Tax is your contribution to government spending on things like transport and the NHS and how much you pay depends on how much you earn.

A graphic designer should be familiar with software such as Photoshop,Dreamweaver,Illustrator,Indesign etc,  and also be able to be creative and think outside the box. They have to be able to use computer obviously, either a mac/windows pc.

When applying for a graphic designer job you will have to be prepared, not just handing a CV in but having a creative web portfolio along with it, this helps showcase your creative work in a more interactive and imaginative way, this is a great way to show an employer what your personality is like through your work.

Three graphic design agencies in the North East I have found are...
Edot3 - These are based in Gateshead, they do web design, graphic design, branding and logos, hosting etc.
Sumo - Sumo are based in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and they do Print, Digital, Branding and Campaigns.
Azure- These are based in Sunderland and they do video,film, graphic design, photography, online games, branding, web design etc.

If I could chose one to work for it would be Azure, I would chose these because they have a variety of media sectors within their agency, i'd chose this also because I enjoy the whole branding side of media  and photography as I do this in my spare time, I think that this would would give me wide variety and interest me more. I believe that my skills as a graphic designer have improved, I think i would fit well for a web design job as being able to use Dreamweaver effectively and being able to produce a solid website and also fit well doing  I like creating logos as it lets your imagination go with it. This company looks creative just by looking at the website they have produced and I think I would fit well there.

Here is a screenshot of my CV, my CV will help me apply for relevant jobs, it shows off my skills and capabilities and shows an employer what I can do, what grades I got and what kind of work experience I have done, this will help them make a decision to see if I am right for the job.




I found on whiteroom creations that they are always looking for new people to join ther team , so they said to just email a CV and cover letter to there company and they will have a look, I think I would be good for a role within their company as I am creative and pretty good with building websites however I think I need to improve on my marketing skills and logo designs and make them more uniqe stand out from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment